|  

Home >> Temple Stay >> About Beomeosa

Beomeosa
Beomeosa was built by the great priest UiSang in 678 during the reign of King MunMu of the Silla dynasty, as one of ten HwaEom temples in Korea. It was established to realize the purpose of HwaEom which pursues life full of happiness and generosity.
Along with HaeInsa and TongDosa, Beomeosa is one of the three largest temples in Young Nam province, and home to Buddhist cultural assets and famous great priests.
Great masters including UiSang, WonHyo, PyoHun, NangBaek, MyungHak, GyeongHeo, YongSeong, SeongWol, YongUn, and DongSan had studied and practiced here.
Master priest DongSan had led Buddhist Purification Movement and worked as driving force for modern Buddhism in Korea.


Foundation History of Beomeosa
"DongGuk YeoJiSeungRam" records the origin of Beomeosa as follow. At the top of Mt.GeumJeong located in 20 ri(a traditional unit of measuring distance) north of DongRaeHyun, there is gold-colored well that never dries even during drought.
In the well, gold-colored fish came down from the sky on five-cardinal-colored cloud and played, so people called the well as GeumSaem. The temple was named after "gold spring" "gold-colored fish from the heaven" and the name of the mountain GeumJeong.
SeonChalDaeBonSan
SeonChalDaeBonSan means a place where people can meditate and clear their mind. Through meditation, all useless ideas can be vanished and people can look into their true inner-self and realize their Buddhist mind. When Buddhist priest SeongWol worked as the abbot of Beomeosa during the Greater Korean Empire period, the priestdeclared Beomeosa as main temple practicing meditation and invited great Buddhist priest GyeongHeo as the master teacher for Beomeosa Zen center. Everyone has their own thought and mind. If we practice meditation enough, even silly average person can be Buddha. There are three jewel monasteries.The Buddha jewel monastery is Tongdosa, the Dharma jewel monastery is Haeinsa, and the Sangha jewel monastery is Songgwangsa. In that sense, Beomeosa can be the fourth Meditation(Seon) jewel monastery where people can find the root of their arising thought and mind.
Jo Gye Mun(Il Ju Gate)
It is also called as Il Ju Gate or One-Pillar Gate. The gate was built in a row with stone pillar by Master Myo Jeon in 1614. It is the first door that leads to the sacred world of Buddha. As the world of truth has no discrimination, it is said that people coming into the door have to leave their discriminative ideas behind. Our original nature is as clear as blue sky, but it gets tainted in the mundane world. The hanging board reads "SeonChalDaeBonSan Beomeosa" and the gate is the best gate ever founded in Korea, being designated as treasure.
Dae Woong Jeon (Buddha Hall) –Treasure No. 434
The hall enshrines Sakyamuni Buddha and the name of Dae Woong was originated from Lotus Sutra (Beop Hwa Gyeong). Dae Woong is the virtuous name of the Buddha, meaning great hero who renounced all worldly desiresand reached enlightenment. Beomeosa Buddha Hall has JeHwaGalLa bodhisattvaMiReuk bodhisattvaon both sides. JeHwaGalLa saint is the presence of the Buddha of the past and MiReuk is the presence of the Buddha of the future. Therefore, the templehas enshrined the Buddha of the past, present, and future to save people from their agony in transcending the time. The hall was established in 1614 by Buddhist priest MyoJeon during the Jo Seon Dynasty.

 
 



Beomeosa, Kumjongsan NO 546, Chungryong-dong, Kumjung-gu, Busan
TEL 051-508-3122 / FAX 051-508-3229 / TEMPLESTAY 051-508-5726
COPYRIGHT(C) 2008 BY BEOMEOSA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED